Monday, December 14, 2015

look up

sea of blue bells

The woods are kind of like a stereogram (think: magic eye); if you let your eyes rest, you start to realize you're surrounded by movement. Cheesy, but so true. This morning on my walk through Prospect Park I stopped along a wooded path because I saw a chipmunk racing along the boulders to my left. Then I saw a second chipmunk. Then a cardinal. And a blue jay. And a chipmunk on the other side of me. And leaves fluttering to the ground. There was a sea of movement that I had almost walked through without even noticing because of whatever flim-flam was swirling around my head at the moment. I'm sure there were dozens of similar scenes that I missed on the walk, but I'm happy to have noticed this one.

this morning I stood
still while chipmunks scampered on
rocks, and the dog whined

//

walked home from the train
to the sound of plinking rain.
wet feet, peaceful mind

picture: the bluebelle field at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, May 2012, film, Canon Tlb 


No comments: