Friday, January 8, 2016

the D word

small house of god

Feeling a little lost for words this evening. It's Friday (or as I like to call it fried-day because by Friday night, the synapses are firing a little slower and the dark circles are a little bit bigger). Someone in my family died today. Well, really last night, but he wasn't discovered until this afternoon after not responding to phone calls. I have an acquaintance who lost his partner of 10 years to a sudden medical event (a few months ago). I have another friend who's navigating the simultaneous and sudden decline in both of her parents' health. As I think about it, I realize this list could go on for quite awhile. It's crazy how so much gloom can coexist with so much beauty, but such is the way of opposing forces. I can feel the cliches and platitudes right around the corner, so it's best to just get to the completely unrelated haiku. I tried to come up with something more poignant, but I'm giving up and calling it a day. 

is she trying to 
squash a bug between her teeth? 
no, she's chewing gum 

picture: a village church on Ilha Grande, an island off the coast of Rio, Brazil, September 2012, cross-processed film, Agfa Optima  

No comments: