Thursday, January 7, 2016

circling the runway

wondering why she agreed to this

All of my writing/thinking time has been consumed by trip planning today, so keep those expectations nice and low. We're trying to cobble together a trip to Australia, New Zealand, and Tasmania, which we've been thinking about for months, but neither of us can manage to fight our various anxieties to buy the plane tickets (charrow = money, mine = flying over the ocean for hours on end). BUT neither of these fears is likely to go away in the years to come and we have no way of knowing other factors (family health being of primary concern). Charrow is always worried about money, and I can't foresee a time when flying 15 hours over open water is going to make me warm and fuzzy. May as well go now while there are no other creatures to care for.

Unrelated: tonight we couldn't get a mason jar lid off (just the top, not the ring closure), and it suddenly occurred to me that the bottle opener lip of the can opener might work better than trying to poke a knife underneath an impossibly tight seal. It popped open with no effort whatsoever. Can I tell you how many times I've hurt my fingernails trying to accomplish the same feat? How did that not occur to me sooner? Ever have those moments when you realize the simple solution has been sitting in the drawer right in front of you? And now in short form:

poke and pry in vain
trying everything until
pop! goes the brain cells

picture: Charrow on our hike up a short stretch of the Buckeye Trail off the PCH, northern CA, June 2014, film, Canon Tlb 

1 comment:

Steve Reed said...

I flew to New Zealand from NYC about 12 years ago, and although it was a long flight (2 flights actually, via LA) it was doable and I'm so glad I went. Definitely take the plunge! I still haven't made it to Australia but that's on the agenda.